Katherine Melchior Ray and Roy dig into what makes an outstanding, modern CMO, the benefits and challenges of pursuing a global career, and how to connect across cultures as an expat leader.
Katherine’s professional journey spans nearly three decades and includes mobilizing growth in a variety of businesses across five different industries and three continents. Her wealth of experience extends across a wide spectrum of business sectors, including beauty, hospitality, and fashion.
She’s worked with legendary brands like Gucci, Shiseido, Nike, Louis Vuitton, and Hyatt, and currently teaches International Marketing at the Haas School of Business at the University of California, Berkeley.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM OUR CONVERSATION INCLUDE:
- Factors and experiences that shaped Katherine’s leadership and hiring philosophy (6:48)
- Navigating language barriers and developing cultural competency (8:27)
- Lessons learned from hiring and leading global teams (10:10)
- How to develop and manage the capabilities of new teams (11:22)
- How she makes decisions around important hires (14:09)
- Insights gained from hiring successes and failures (14:54)
- What makes a great CMO (15:58)
- How Katherine applies her knowledge of history to marketing strategies (17:19)