LOCATION: Portland, OR
Reporting directly to the CEO, the Head of Finance will be responsible for a wide range of activities related to finance, information technology, business strategy, and administration to support effective business operations. The Head of Finance will be a financial expert, overseeing the finance and business functions of the organization, and ensuring strong fiduciary strategy, oversight, and communication. This includes serving as a member of the Senior Leadership Team, staffing the Finance Committee, supporting the CEO in staffing the Board, and assuming additional strategic and leadership roles to further the organization’s mission.
- Participate as a member of the Senior Leadership Team to provide enterprise-level strategic leadership and serve as staff leader for the Finance Committee.
- Responsible for the development, execution, and effectiveness of financial and business systems, including analytics, asset, and risk management.
- Direct the development and operation of financial systems, including budgeting, auditing, accounting, and grant compliance.
- Support Finance and Accounting staff in the timely and accurate generation of critical financial data. Assess existing systems and develop new processes and systems to improve efficiency, accuracy, and timeliness.
- Conduct frequent and regular analysis of organizational financials, cash flow, and key business indicators. Ensure clear and consistent reporting to CEO and Senior Leadership Team, including proactive identification of issues, and related recommendations for actions and adjustments.
- Develop consistent and effective reporting and modeling for the Finance Committee and Board of Directors.
- Serve as liaison to key external partners, including investment and retirement managers, and insurance brokers/vendors. Coordinate engagement with and decisions between leadership, Board, and Finance Committee.
- Oversee the work of IT in the selection, installation, and maintenance of hardware, software, networking, CRM, and data management.
- Serve as primary and accountable staff lead to identify, monitor, and mitigate any/all key business risks and exposures.
- Cross-functional collaboration with Head of HR, VP of Finance, Chief Impact Officer, Director of Government, Chief Development Officer, and IT team
- Support Finance, IT, and Building teams in the execution of their team activities; when necessary provide direction for modification in work plans.
- Serve as an active partner for and champion in the organization’s Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion efforts, both internally and externally.
- 10+ years related experience in executive-level financial management and strategy roles for either for-profit or nonprofit entities with budgets of >$5M; MBA and/or CPA highly desirable
- Minimum 5 years of supervisory skills and experience
- Ability to design and articulate a business case for new initiatives, programs, and processes in terms of their value to and impact on the business as a whole; experience navigating an organization through changing revenue environments, a plus
- Strong experience with government grants management and accounting
- Ability to think strategically with proven, strong ability to execute on plan, take initiative and be creative in thinking and solutions
- Strong aptitude for metrics and data analysis, using business intelligence to drive results
- Stellar presentation and communication skills with an ability to interact and influence all levels of employees within the organization, as well as relate with a diverse group of individuals or organizations in an effective manner
- Proactive, collaborative, and a dynamic leader who is a nimble and quantitative thinker with a record of achieving results individually and through others
- Ability to manage expectations of internal team members effectively and a strong desire and aptitude to be part of a team environment