Award-winning global creative executive Jean Batthany sits down with Roy to dig into the nuances of creative leadership, when organizations should hire a creative leader, and how to assess the skills and competencies that make them successful.
Jean brings a wealth of experience and insight to the podcast; she has spent over thirty years leading brand-side and agency creative teams. Jean began her career at top advertising agencies like BBDO, M&C Saatchi, Merkley+Partners, and Saatchi & Saatchi before transitioning to leading in-house creative strategy for Disney Parks and Resorts, where she served as VP, Global Creative. Most recently, she led a team of over 300 creatives at Walmart as Chief Creative Officer.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM OUR CONVERSATION INCLUDE:
- The key elements of a successful brand strategy (4:44)
- Balancing creativity and leadership skills in teams (5:33)
- When and why brands should hire a Chief Creative Officer (7:14)
- How to measure the success of a brand creative leader (7:50)
- The role CCOs play in driving great creative (9:59)
- The best advice Jean received as a young creative (12:28)
- What she looks for in creative leaders (13:40)
- The difference between a brand creative leader and a CMO — and how they work together (14:29)
- Jean’s advice to early-career creatives (15:51)
Visit HowIHire.com for transcripts and more on this episode. Follow Roy Notowitz and Noto Group Executive Search on LinkedIn for updates and featured career opportunities.