Fred Miller and Judith Katz of The Kaleel Jamison Consulting Group are dedicated to helping companies recruit, support, and retain diverse workforces. For the last 50 years, KJCG has assisted organizations in creating inclusive, collaborative workplaces that leverage differences to achieve higher performance and engagement.
As CEO and Lead Client Strategist, Fred Miller develops workforce utilization strategies that accelerate higher individual, team, and organizational performance. Fred is a pioneering change agent and thought leader whose work reflects a lifelong commitment to pushing back on the status quo to help organizations become places where human beings can be fully human. He has led transformative change interventions in Fortune 50 corporations, large not-for-profit organizations, and government agencies throughout the United States, Europe, Australia, and Asia, including Merck, Allstate, United Airlines, Toyota, EILEEN FISHER, Northeast Utilities, Singapore Telecom, the McArthur Foundation, the City of San Diego, and many others. Read more about Fred and his work at kjcg.com/frederick-a-miller.
Judith Katz is the Executive Vice President of The Kaleel Jamison Consulting Group. She has distinguished herself as a thought leader, practitioner, educator, author, and strategist around change management, the development of high performing, inclusive organizations and the issues of oppression and diversity. She’s led many transformational change initiatives in the United States and around the globe, partnering with such organizations as Allstate, Ecolab Inc., EILEEN FISHER, INC., Merck, the City of San Diego, Telecoms of Singapore, and United Airlines. She also co-created the Covert Process Concept and Lab with Bob Marshak. Learn more about Judith at kjcg.com/judith-h-katz.
Judith and Fred have co authored four books on diversity, inclusion, collaboration, trust, authenticity, and teamwork: Safe Enough to Soar: Accelerating Trust, Inclusion, and Collaboration in the Workplace, Opening Doors to Teamwork and Collaboration: 4 Keys that Change EVERYTHING, Be BIG: Step Up, Step Out, Be Bold, and The Inclusion Breakthrough: Unleashing the Real Power of Diversity. They draw on their foundational framework, Inclusion as the HOW, to enable clients to achieve higher performance and accelerate results.
Listen to the podcast
Highlights from our conversation include
- How client needs and attention have shifted recently (4:46)
- Their approach to working with new clients (8:09)
- How to recognize the full potential of a diverse workforce (10:32)
- Why hiring is one piece of a larger strategy (11:14)
- How employee expectations have evolved (11:56)
- What companies need to do to retain talent (13:50)
- New and necessary competencies for leaders (16:29)
- Key conscious actions for inclusion (18:15)
- The importance of safety in the workplace (19:13)
- Next steps for companies who are serious about change (21:57)
- How KJCG sets the foundation for hiring success (24:36)
- Why companies should move away from culture “fit” (26:10)
- Ways to mitigate bias in the hiring process (28:24)
- Why organizations need to be thoughtful about onboarding (31:52)
- How COVID-19 has affected their work (35:15)
Visit HowIHire.com for transcripts and more on this episode.