Location: Portland, OR
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for staff, programs, expansion, and execution of the organization’s mission. The Executive Director will lead a student-first culture and serve as the face of the organization to further community partnerships, advocacy objectives, programming initiatives, and fundraising goals. With a passion for the organization’s mission and vision, this person will drive a sustainable and adaptive organization that has a track record for innovation and growth.
Strategic Vision & Program Development
- Ensure that the organization’s programs and services reflect the organization’s mission and priorities.
- Develop a vision and strategic plan under the guidance of the Board of Directors and with the support of the Leadership team.
- Inform the Board of Directors on all aspects of the organization’s activities; and identify, assess, and update the Board of internal and external issues that affect the organization in a timely manner.
- Supervise planning, implementation and evaluation of the organization’s programs and services.
Leadership & Team Management
- Foster a collaborative, mission-driven environment that engages, challenges, and supports team members in meeting organizational and personal goals.
- Lead staff in developing strategic objectives, implementation plans, and appropriate policies and procedures which align with the organization’s mission and vision.
- Build a dedicated team that is integrated and aligned with the organization’s mission, and strengthen organization culture through clarity of roles and responsibilities.
- Direct changes to the organizational structure as needed to address changing environment.
Financial Planning & Management
- Provide strategic oversight to achieve balanced and sustainable revenue growth for the organization.
- Work with staff and the Board to prepare a comprehensive budget providing for the financial stability and growth of the organization, and achievement of short and long-term organizational objectives.
- Develop strategies with finance and operations for management of investments, assets, and business contracts which ensure financial controls and stability, and execution of the organization’s mission.
- Review and support long and short term development strategies to identify, cultivate, and secure funding sources.
- Provide leadership to Board Development Committee and Development Director to secure financial resources necessary to ensure financial health and achievement of objectives.
- Seek innovative ways to increase fundraising and participate in fundraising activities and events as the face of the organization.
Operational Planning & Management
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the organization; and develop an operational plan which incorporates clearly defined equity policies, goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction and growth of the organization.
- Draft policies for the approval of the Board and prepare procedures to implement the organizational policies; review existing policies on an annual basis and recommend changes to the Board as appropriate.
Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion
- Model leadership that advocates for, and generates specific support that works toward eliminating race, socio-economic status, and other differences as predictors of success.
- Convey a strong professional representation, interpersonal relationship abilities, intercultural knowledge and appreciation, strategic partnership building.
- Demonstrate understanding and experience with multiple modes of educating diverse constituencies about complex issues.
- Maintain a strong commitment to culturally responsive pedagogy and leadership.
Community Relations & Advocacy
- Provide positive and effective representation of the organization’s programs, capabilities, and vision in the community.
- Engage with the community in forming partnerships to support the organization through financial funding, volunteer contributions, and synergistic relationships with local school districts, other educational institutions, media, and community businesses and organizations.
- Communicate with stakeholders to keep them informed of the work and success of the organization and identify trends and changes in communities served by the organization.
- Evaluate and continually improve student success indicators which drive program and financial decisions.
- Use data driven program evaluation to improve programs with an eye to impacting broader systems.
- Interpret and enforce academic educational policies and contracts as it relates to programs, educational support services, and student services.
Standards & Practices Compliance:
- Ensure that the organization is in compliance with laws, statutes, regulations, and best practice standards for non-profit, institutions, and for accreditation standards for educational institutions.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study required. Advanced degree in education, non-profit or public administration, or program management, preferred.
- Minimum of ten years of organization-wide leadership responsibility with at least five years of successful leadership in a non-profit organization delivering services for underserved youth and families from diverse cultural, ethnic, and/or socio-economic backgrounds.
- Experience with, and an understanding of, K-12 education policy issues for underserved youth, highly preferred.
- Experienced in leading private fundraising of $1M+ annually, developing and managing budgets over $5M+, highly preferred. Experience with overall financial management, a must.
- Demonstrated capabilities in strategic growth orientation, board administration, team leadership, employee management, and effective internal and external communication.
- Knowledge, experience, and demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Experience in creating and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Skilled in effective communication and management of work teams and staff.